Commercial Property Surveys
Lewis Chartered Surveyors are highly experienced in conducting commercial property surveys, also known as an RICS-Technical Due Diligence reports. We regularly conduct these for owner occupiers, investors (landlords) and tenants.
Helping our clients make informed decisions
To help our clients fully understand the property they are looking to buy, let out or take a lease of, we conduct detailed and robust surveys which examine considerations such as:
- The state of the property if the intention is to continue using in its existing form
- The state of the property if there is an intention to develop it
- What structural issues are evident and how it performs, or is likely to perform from an energy efficiency perspective
- What durability and lifespan do the materials in the fabric of the structure have
- Whether there are likely to be any major cost considerations when insuring the property
- Plant and equipment longevity and efficiency considerations, such as air conditioning and heating
- How and when the property will likely deteriorate, and need refurbishment over time
- Health and Safety risks such as presence of asbestos on the premises etc. Also if there is any contamination on-site from its previous uses
- General compliance with The Equality Act, and any obvious shortcomings or improvements required
For landlords we also survey properties to assess:
- If their tenants are complying with the repairing covenants in their Lease and looking after the building
- If there any inherent defects in the property, for which the tenant wouldn’t be responsible
- How the building is performing from a longevity/durability perspective
- If there any signs of contamination which may affect the long-term development options of the site
For tenants taking on a new lease we can also prepare a Schedule of Condition, so they have a record of the state of the property when they take on the lease. This helps to limit their future liability.
A broad knowledge of different commercial properties
Over the years, we have amassed considerable experience in surveying a wide variety of business premises. These include retail, office, warehousing and manufacturing plants. We also support clients looking to incorporate properties as part of their pension arrangements, in a SIPP. Our reports are comprehensive, robust and tailored to each property and our clients’ plans or intentions for them.
Clients value our reports for their detail, relevance and clarity of the property’s strengths and weaknesses.
Energy performance can affect the lettability of a property. A poor Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating can affect any dilapidations claims that you may need to make against Tenants.
Our surveys acknowledge the property’s EPC rate and how that may have changed considering more current EPC criteria. We also have access to EPC specialists who can carry out a detailed assessment, if needed.
As part of our surveys, we can introduce thermal imagining technology if required.
Peace of mind
Lewis Chartered Surveyors is regulated by The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). We are required to conform to all its latest standards and best practice.
Find out more
For more information about how we can help with your commercial property assessment, please do get in touch.